4th October 2019
10 things for little ones to do in and around Saunton
Whatever the weather, there’s plenty of enjoyable things for children to do in Saunton and surrounding North Devon … be prepared to get crafty, wet and even a little mucky.
1. We offer an all-inclusive entertainment programme that both children and adults can enjoy. While adults begin the day with a good stretch in a pilates class, children can revel in kite flying in the sand dunes or hone tennis skills. It’s jam-packed with plenty of activities to keep all ages entertained, plus the events run daily, which gives you a chance to have a well-deserved break.
2. Saunton beach’s gentle waves are ideal for novice surfers and long boarders. Sign your little one up for a surfing lesson with the Walking on Waves team. Children can join in on group surf sessions or alternatively, you and the family can book a private session, for a more personal experience.
3. Explore the marine life hiding in Saunton’s rock pools for a fantastic family day out. Look out for Celtic sea slugs which are unique to Saunton or find barnacles and anemones hiding in the crevices. Try bringing your fishing line and bait along and see if you can catch a few crabs or small fish.
4. Hop aboard the MS Oldenburg and set sail to Lundy Island. As you cruise across the Atlantic Ocean, look out for the dolphins who often enjoy following the ship. Once you’ve arrived at Lundy, explore the listed buildings and 42 monuments that are scattered across the 3-mile-long island.
5. Pay the National Trust’s Arlington Court a visit for plenty of family fun activities come rain or shine. Get your camera out and learn about outdoor photography, take a stroll through the gardens and find out about the resident bee’s, or make the most out of the glorious weather by playing summer games on the lawn.
6. For a fun packed adventure visit North Devon’s total wipe-out inspired waterpark. Put your wetsuits on and compete as you run around the inflatable obstacle course. Or if your balancing skills are up to scratch have a go at wakeboarding. There are plenty of water-based activities to do which makes this place perfect for both the children and us big kids too.
7. Just a short drive from Saunton are two historic towns Lynton and Lynmouth. Take a trip on the world-famous water powered Cliff railway which starts at Lynmouth. Glide up the steep 362ft length track and enjoy the stunning cliff views as you make your way up to Lynton.
8. Pop down to Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park for a fun-fuelled family day out. Set in 28 acres of beautiful gardens, you can meet and learn about a variety of animals that live on the park. Get up close to animatronic dinosaurs or take a trip on the dino express ride. There are plenty of indoor and outdoor activities to keep children of all ages entertained all day. Plus Saunton Sands Hotel guests receive 10% off the entry fee.
9. Overlooking Watermouth Cove is Watermouth Family Theme Park and Castle. Visit for a fantastic array of attractions which are suitable for all ages. Venture into the castle to learn about Victorian history or fly through the air on one of the many rides. Guests are treated to 20% off their entry fee too.
10. Children can have a go at horse riding along Croyde bay with Roylands Riding Stables. There’s also a tiny trek option which is perfect for children, enjoy a gentle 30-minute supervised ride along the beach. For more confident riders you can roam through dense woodlands, sand dunes and other beaches. The beautiful scenery surrounding the coast makes this a perfect opportunity to take a memorable picture.