Fruit and Nut Christmas Tree Cupcake Recipe
21st December 2017
Delight your guests this christmas with these scrumptious seasonal christmas tree cupcakes.
Makes 20 cupcakes
For the cakes
8oz self-raising flour
7 tbsp cold tea
8oz dried mixed fruit
2oz mixed nuts, crushed
1oz glace cherries, halved
4oz caster sugar
4oz butter, melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 medium-sized eggs
For the butter cream topping
9oz butter (softened)
18 oz icing sugar
2 tablespoons milk
Green food colouring
Sugar pearls or edible glitter to decorate
For the cakes
1. Preheat oven 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
2. Place single cupcake cases in a bun tray or double-layered cases on a baking tray.
3. Weigh the dried mixed fruit and place in a bowl.
4. Boil the kettle and pour some water over 1-2 tea bags in another bowl. Once the tea has cooled slightly, add 7tbsp of cold tea to the dried mixed fruits and stir. Leave to soak for half hour whilst preparing the rest of the cake mix.
5. In a large mixing bowl add the sugar, sieved self-raising flour and spices.
6. Next add in the cherries and soaked fruits, including any left over tea that has not been absorbed. Stir.
7. In a separate bowl whisk the 3 med eggs together and gradually add to mix whilst stirring.
8. Finally add in the melted butter, vanilla extract and mixed nuts and stir vigorously for 2 mins.
9. Scoop the mix into the individual cupcake cases and fill half way.
10. Bake in the oven for 13-15 mins until golden.
11. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before icing
For the butter cream icing
1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
2. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
3. Stir in the food colouring until well combined.
4. Pipe or spoon the icing on to completely cooled cupcakes.
5. Top with sugar pearls or edible glitter.
6. Enjoy your Christmas tree cupcakes!