19th September 2019
Explore Saunton during its quietest and arguably most spectacularly beautiful season – the air is delightfully crisp, the sea is warm and the orange and golden hues create a sublime landscape of illuminating sunsets … it’s simply idyllic. We round up twelve reasons why the season of ‘mists and mellow fruitfulness’ is the insider’s month to visit …
1. Come with the kids this autumn half term: as previous winners of Conde Nast’s prestigious Best for Families award, we know how to cater for the whole family. With an abundance of children’s activities and a natural playground to explore, it’s the perfect destination to visit with little ones.
From Captain Coconut’s show and Ranger Russ and his creepy crawlies to the pyjama parties and Halloween arts and crafts. Plus, we offer youngest child stays FREE when sharing a parent’s room.
2. Indoor heated pools are especially blissful against the cool air. Sink into the warming pool and relax or rejuvenate in Source Spa and Wellness. Our new world class spa facility has been created to capture the feeling of peace and wellness, offered by our unique surroundings, giving all our guests the opportunity to completely unwind and restore. Book in for a top-to-toe de-stressing massage such as the Ultimate Sense of Self (a full body, face and scalp aromatherapy massage) or indulge in a nourishing facial.
As well as luxury treatments, you can also wallow in the marine vitality pool, overlooking the huge stretch of golden sands and gentle waves.
3. It’s one last blast of the great outdoors before winter. Turn right or left and you’re already on the famous 630 mile South West Coast Path – pull on your walking boots and go by foot or bring the bikes and snake through stunning North Devon coastal and countryside.
4. Round off a long, bracing walk with a picnic and hot chocolate on the beach. Just wrap up warm, pack a few blankets and watch the sea lapping the shore as you gaze at the breathtaking sunsets for a picturesque evening.
5. It’s not just children’s activities on our October half term Entertainment Programme, adults too can take advantage of the cost-included package. From morning yoga and full body conditioning to zumba, meditation and pilates, there’s plenty of classes to attend – whether you need a full body workout or a destress session - find out more here.
6. The sea is at its warmest in October, making it the perfect time to learn how to peel waves like the pros. Jump in the glistening waters, take advantage of our free surfing lessons this half term for kids and grownups and master new surfing skills.
7. Visit local attractions such as RHS Rosemoor (with 10% guest discount) and stroll through the gorgeous gardens showcasing autumnal splendor. There’s also plenty of child-friendly days out such as Exmoor Zoo, Combe Martin Wildlife & Dinosaur Park and The Big Sheep – find more wonderful attractions to visit here.
8. It’s the season of gastronomical delights. Pique your palate in our two AA rosette Art Deco restaurant The Dining Room, where head chef Mathias Oberg utilises the rich deep flavours associated with the British harvest time. Mathias showcases the best of October’s dazzling bounty to craft culinary classics.
9. Experience other delectable dishes in the Terrace Lounge – a more casual spot where you can tuck into small plates, sandwiches and soups from the Light Bites menu alongside beautiful views across Braunton Burrows. Why not plump for a quintessentially British afternoon tea with a seasonal twist? Our cosy autumn afternoon teas come with a free apple cocktail or apple-based prosecco to spice things up.
10. The deliciously foodie month hosts a smashing array of events. Including local North Devon FOODfest – a celebration of everything the area has to offer in terms of superb produce. Over 100 local food and drink exhibitors turn Barnstaple’s Pannier Market into a walk-in larder of glorious aromas, sights and tastes. Includes sizzling cookery demos by the region’s best chefs – including ours.
Also add the Dartmouth Food Festival to your culinary calendar, the free foodie event from 18-20 October welcomes fantastic local provenance, internationally renowned chefs and popular TV personalities.
11. A mere stone’s throw from Saunton beach is our sister restaurant Beachside Grill. This is a must visit as the bright, contemporary space offers fresh-from-the-grill meat, fish, veggie and vegan dishes. Tuck into the seasonal foods which are slow smoked over hickory wood on Bradley Smokers, and then over open flames for an authentic Deep South barbecue flavour.
12. It’s a chance to catch up on sleep, reconnect with nature and soothe your mind of stresses. Retreating to the coast is an excellent opportunity to sync your body with the calming natural surroundings and restore balance. Taking a little time out to relax, immerse yourself in the beauty of nature and spend quality time with loved ones is important to your health and happiness.
Experience pure freedom this October at Saunton, book now.